You may not immediately understand why tomatoes should be grilled. In fact, this may be something that you have never tried before. The moment that you taste a grilled tomato though, you will understand what the fuss is all about. Grilling a tomato will greatly improve its flavor. The best part is that this is very easy to do.
- Get a tomato
- Cut it in half
- Place salt and pepper or any seasoning that you want
- You need to place the tomatoes on their sides for about 5 minutes.
Tomatoes come with their natural sugar so expect that the tomatoes will have a caramelized taste that you will not get if you did not grill them.
When you grill a tomato, remember that preparation is the key. It might be cool to just place a whole tomato on your grill but there are instances when the tomatoes may explode because of the heat. This explains why tomatoes should be cut in half.
If you are going to serve tomatoes as one of your dishes, you can grill them face up. The exposed portion can be sprinkled with garlic, cheese or whatever seasoning you would like to place there. Do not forget to lightly oil the portions of the tomato that will come in contact with your grill so that the tomato will not stick. Remember to only place the tomatoes on the grill on their sides for about 2 minutes before you start adding your seasoning. Be creative and add anything that you think will taste great with tomatoes.
These are some other tips to remember:
- Do not put too much oil on the tomato or you may increase the possibility of having flare-ups.
- If you would like to make the tomatoes into sauce or salsa, lightly cook them.
- Expect that your tomatoes will turn squishy after a few minutes on the grill.
- It will be easy to remove the skin of the tomato from its flesh the moment that it is cooked enough.
- Boiling tomatoes will get rid of the essential vitamins and nutrients but grilling will intensify them.
- If you would like to make your tomatoes perfect for sauces, you simply need to remove the seeds by squeezing the seeds out before continuing to make your sauce.
It is evident that there are so many things that can be done with tomatoes. Are you excited to try grilling your tomatoes soon? You may be surprised at the great flavors you will get.